Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3941424344454647484950 LastLast

Thread: Danish soldiers in Helmand

It is supposed to. But so far, only MP and a few others have switched to HK.

Not much news.

Except I'm home today. 3rd and last tour in A'stan done.

Welcome home to Scandinavia. Good job brother
    Anything in particular you wanna share from your tour?

It's been a boring tour over all, really. But on the other hand I don't need too much action at my age. Having a 107mm rocket hit 50 meters away from me, or two massive IED strikes at 200 meters, was close enough for this old fart

There has been quite a heated debate in the media over the war this last month. I decided to try to get a piece published (which I at first just wrote as a FB update), as a comment to the debate, and in an (vain) effort to turn the debate away from a focus on the costs and losses of the war, towards what we actually achieved, and to emphasise that there is a different perspective than that of the politicians and their blame game.

Here (In Danish, but I have heard that you will get the main points off a google or similar translation):
    http://www.b.dk/kommentarer/jeg-er-s...danmarks-vegne

Really honored and respectful of the contributions you Danes have given in Afghanistan (especially as an American). Though annoyed that many here may be unaware or overlooked of your achievements. I suppose it's just the US-centric media in that regard. We even seem to overlook British/Canadian efforts even while our troops and theres served closely together in the South. Just a few questions though. How's the Afghan mission looked overall in your homeland? I know your troops have been in the South for as long as ours, so must have had enough political/public support to achieve that. whats the thoughts from the public overall and the military? Has it changed the view of the Danish troops at war or was that already changed with your missions in Kosovo/Iraq? And where do you think your troops will go to next? Mali? Congo?

A Danish soldier was wounded this morning, by friendly fire during an operation near Camp Bastion. After receiving treatment on site he was transported to the Camp Bastion field hospital. He comes from the HQ/Logistics Coy.
    The soldier was able to call his relatives afterwards. (Usually a good sign that it's nothing serious).

EDIT: It looks loke this thread has lost a couple of weeks' posts during the recent "make over".

Sheep dog standing before wolves The Dane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fisker View Post
    EDIT: It looks loke this thread has lost a couple of weeks' posts during the recent "make over".
    :/ I hope it reappears ..

has it been determined what units and what size will be sent to Afghanistan after 2014 when your non-combat troops are all gone? Do you think regardless of the size, will the troops remain in Helmand or move to another region for training?

BTW have to wonder when NATO leaders had originally envisioned a push toward the Southern provinces, was it always held to believe that you guys would contribute? Were there ever any discussions of you leading a PRT in another region like Norway/Sweden in the North or Spain/Italy in the West? why specifically did your govt lobby your troops to go to the South, same with Estonia I guess.

Yesterday, the Danish contingent in Camp Bastion held a rare celebration. One soldier, Peter Emtekjær, received the Danish Military Medal for 40 (!!!) years of service!

Among other feats in a career stretching from enlistment in 1973 until March 1 next year, when he retires, Peter Emtekjær was part of the Danish military pentathlon national team for 14 years.

Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

Congrats Peter!

A short x-mas message from team 16, in Camp Viking, in Bastion:

Quote Originally Posted by Fisker View Post
    A short x-mas message from team 16, in Camp Viking, in Bastion:

Well made hehe..

A few photos of the Danish tank platoon and assets:

Link: http://forsvaret.dk/HOK/Nyt%20og%20P...forhegnet.aspx

It's almost a whole company