Page 90 of 100 FirstFirst ... 40808283848586878889909192939495969798 ... LastLast
Results 1,336 to 1,350 of 1499

Thread: Building Firearms...

Plans for the A2 upper/barrel: Once I've acquired A2 handguards and a rifle-length gas tube, I'll use it as a quick-swap option for my Rock River AR with the 20" Bushmaster Hbar barrel. Eventually, I'll probably get another lower receiver (hopefully a Colt) and A2 buttstock to make it a complete rifle similar to what I carried during my years of military service (minus, of course, the 3-rd. burst option. ).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	626.2 KB 
ID:	175252

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	636.0 KB 
ID:	175250

Name:	008.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	628.9 KB 
ID:	175251

As far as the lower goes, I really don't have any definite plans at this time. Maybe do an SBR, or just keep it for when Obama (or Romney) wins in November, and these types of things may become unavailable. Another idea might be to match it to a Stag Arms left-handed upper, for my son when he's older.

Purveyor of Milwaukee Iron RECON DOC's Avatar

Hey fellas, long timey no talkie. Hope everybody's doing well. I have a mega highspeed Sears M200. It's a real SPECOPS piece. It has a five round max, one in the pipe and four in the tube. I've been looking for a mag extension for it without much luck. Does anyone know if there is one available for it?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RECON DOC View Post
    Hey fellas, long timey no talkie. Hope everybody's doing well. I have a mega highspeed Sears M200. It's a real SPECOPS piece. It has a five round max, one in the pipe and four in the tube. I've been looking for a mag extension for it without much luck. Does anyone know if there is one available for it?
    Thanks
    Doc, IIRC the Sear M200 is a Winchester 1200 version. You're gonna find several differences

Trigger housing is imcompatible as well as stock, forend
    M200
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...spx?catid=9692

M1200
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...px?catid=11924

Purveyor of Milwaukee Iron RECON DOC's Avatar

Hey, thanks for the response and the info LineDoggie. I thought the 1200 was the same basically, but it's 20 gage? I think? I knew Winchester made it for Sears and it looks like the 7 round mag tube might work. I guess I'll have to do some more homework to be sure though.

Well, I finished one of the two book reviews that I have to do this weekend, had a Cuba Libre, and then got happy for an hour. Lower complete. Nootch.
    (also posted in the Firearms collections spot)

Name:	N4 Build.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	178201

Hey i'm wondering if I can get some help from you guys, because something i'm working on is a revolver, but i'm designing it from starch then once I finalize the design i'll get parts manufactured.
    But I have a problem being, the sizing what i mean is i've never own a revolver before and I don't have a gun shop close to me i can go to and get some measurements. The reason this is a problem for me is if the sizing it wrong i'll get an off sized revolver which i don't want also a few other things.
    So what i'm asking if for a picture that shows general dimensions like handle size, total length, height, and width. Thats really all i need because for some reason I'm having trouble finding that and i'm sure someone here has a revolver they can get measure for me. Also if possible measurements for a .357 would be preferred.
    As for how i'm doing the internals for the trigger and hammer, i'm just going to base it roughly off of revolvers from early 1900's, because they are a bit more simple.

Also ya i'm crazy for doing this but I figure why not, because if it works then i have the coolest firearm you can own, one you make yourself.

Each person is different. The easiest thing to do is to try them on for size. Also helps if you have friends that shoot and will let you try theirs. Ergonomics is probably propriety information. I don't know if we have any members who work designing firearms.

Ya I know but like I said not many gun shops near me since i'm in down town Chicago and don't have a car. Thou the best i can do is make a simple wood model, which i really don't want to do since that can take forever or very little time, you just never know when going into something like that.
    But at least with a general size i can form a good design then get it modeled it wood to check the shaping and size, thou that different from the simple model of the handle I don't want to do, since this one would be done with precision and cost money.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollis View Post
    No, a person can build their own firearms and no registration is necessary on federal laws. Also must comply with the NFA. State and local laws needs to be checked on.
    where can i find more information on this?

Quote Originally Posted by jzamp View Post
    where can i find more information on this?
    Try BATF. They have a site. Also the AR sites and AK site have information on building kits.

good question, because i'm wondering now what i might run into. even thou i'm just going to design my firearm, then have a shop manufacture parts and a gun smith assemble. Because doesn't seem like i would run into any issue thou, i rather be sure.

thanks Hollis

Well I figured out what seems like a simple and easy way to get the barrel of my revolver installed without the need for expensive tools or gunsmith. *went along the lines of a Dan Wesson revolver barel lock design, But I just found out I over looked something about the Dan Wesson design which I can't believe I over looked.* Well this design might be useless now or not, depends on my revision of it.

here's the picture of it roughly, "sorry for the poor drawing skills"

Name:	Barrel Locking Design.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	145.0 KB 
ID:	178592

Now since it's a crap drawing i'll explain it and walk through it.
    starting from right to left.

First off you have the item marked as frame which is just mean to represent the frame past the cylinder and around the barrel attachment point. It has 3 small holes in it 2 for studs and one for a screw meant to go through the top stud for a secure fit of the barrel sleeve, well the bottom one offers lower support. Then you have the main hole which is where the barrel screw into, but to the left of it in an indented area meant for the barrel square ring which i'll talk about now.

The barrel square ring is meant to go over the barrel when it's screwed into the frame, in doing to it prevents the barrel from loosening or unscrewing as long as the barrel sleeve is attached and fastened. The design of the square ring is simple it's roughly square in design and is thin to so it does take up to much of the frame. The inner portion of it is a half circle half square thing which allows it to not rotate on the barrel which has a small section of the same shape.

The barrel is well a barrel, but it's not a cylindrical all the way through, but instead near the threading it is more of a 4 small sided cylindrical shape, which prevents it from rotating once paired with the square ring.

Now finally the barrel sleeve, it' simply slides over the barrel and has 2 studs that go a little into the frame giving it more sturdiness once attached. but the top stud goes through the square ring and into the frame to, where it has a screw go into it giving it added support and also a secure base holding it to the frame, well at the same time supporting the square ring by keeping it better seated thus preventing the barrel rotating and thus getting loose.

Now if your still lost, i don't blame you because i'm crap at drawing and piss poor at English to. so use your imaginary if your lost.

But if you do get it, does it seem like something that would hold and be able to stand up to stress of a revolver. Because to me it seems like this would hold together and prevented any or at least nearly all loosening of the barrel.
    And remember this is a rough stretch drawn by someone how can't draw, and it's not even remotely to size or scale.

also if your wondering why i designed this because i'm designing a revolver from nothing, which mean I have to design the parts features, and then get parts made and then assemble it. I want to get this little bit out of my way so I can start focusing on the internals which I only have a blury idea of what they are going to be.
    Last edited by YourImaginaryStalker; 05-02-2012 at 07:51 AM.

Duck Hunter Extraordinaire & Wodka taster for The League of Cantankerous Old Farts Jurpula's Avatar

I've been recently toying with the idea of building a new stock for my .22 rifle.

Any ideas on how and where to start, what type of wood to use and stuff?