Page 54 of 3743 FirstFirst ... 4444647484950515253545556575859606162641041545541054 ... LastLast
Results 796 to 810 of 56133

Thread: Russian Photos (updated on regular basis)

  1. #796
    Diagnosis: chronic mpnetoholism (F99.9)
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    UK / Hinckley
    Age
    45
    Posts
    12,222

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KillerBD View Post
    I used to wonder the same thing too. But its actually a somewhat logical why they do this. Its becuase of a possible RPG attack their is a higher chance of them being able to survive. Because if they were all riding inside and an RPG penetrated it is likely they would all get killed of wounded.
    For me the explanation is much more simple. They did it becouse they are quite far away from combat zone and it's much more pleasant to take a ride than walking in the mud

  2. #797
    Senior Member LEGEND's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    2,221

    Default

    ^^^ nice photos, the most su-27s i've seen in one photo

  3. #798
    Senior Member phoebus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Macedonia
    Posts
    2,308

    Default

    Russian Frontal Aviation MiG-23, MiG-27 & MiG-29. Former GDR, early 90's.

  4. #799
    Banned user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KillerBD View Post
    I used to wonder the same thing too. But its actually a somewhat logical why they do this. Its becuase of a possible RPG attack their is a higher chance of them being able to survive. Because if they were all riding inside and an RPG penetrated it is likely they would all get killed of wounded. This article may explain it better: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Btr80
    well you have ****load of euqipment inside, and it is much easier to get ff rather than get out of...you have a 360 view while on top, your head isnt full of vibration, and if the box gets hit you'll fly off and live

  5. #800
    Member psychoticweazel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Mostly Europe
    Posts
    182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canuck Farrier View Post
    Nice photos thanks,Is there anyroom for these troops to ride inside.Or maybe already full Dont know much about russian armor.???
    What I read about this is that the infantry rides ontop as protection against IED's. Don't know if this is true though.

  6. #801
    Senior Member phoebus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Macedonia
    Posts
    2,308

    Default

    Sukhoi Su-27








    Sukhoi Su-27UB, Su-27P (Su-30MK)







    Sukhoi Su-27K (Su-33)




    [SIZE=1]edit: there are 2 Su-27s and 1 Su-27UB belonging to Belarus AF[/SIZE]

  7. #802
    Banned user Proud American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Part of team 783 Guac!
    Posts
    274

    Default

    Wow!!!! thanks phoebus!

  8. #803
    Federov Avtomat, FTW!
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    5,981

    Default

    For me the explanation is much more simple. They did it becouse they are quite far away from combat zone and it's much more pleasant to take a ride than walking in the mud
    For that to be true then these guys would be hitching a ride and there should be more guys inside.
    The truth is that it is safer from two threats sitting on top and they are the biggest threats to armour today.
    Threat one is landmines... if you are sitting on a seat in an armoured vehicle and a landmine explodes beneath the vehicle there are a lot of back injuries to crew and passengers. If it is part of an ambush try getting out of an APC with full gear with back pain.
    The second thing is HEAT warheads, either from rocket propelled grenades like RPG rounds of ATGMs, which turn the inside of an armoured vehicle into a pressure cooker. The liquid hot gas of the metal liner will destroy lung tissue and burn exposed skin and generally fk you up. Sitting on top you might get light fragment wounds or even be able to jump clear before the rocket hits.
    Another reason is that it is stuffy and dusty inside armoured personel carriers.

    Look at photos of any APC that is not in direct contact with the enemy and you will see soldiers all round the world do the same, including on M113s in Vietnam etc etc.

    Regarding protection from IEDs, if the IED is using a HEAT warhead to penetrate armour then sitting on top is better than sitting inside for the reasons stated above. If however the IED is just a really big bomb to take out the vehicle with blast or fragment damage then it is usually safer inside the vehicle than on top... if the bomb is big enough (like a wired 500kg aerial bomb) then it really doesn't matter whether you are in or out of the vehicle.

  9. #804
    Loadmaster General Laworkerbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    California Über Alles
    Age
    44
    Posts
    42,383

    Default

    What GazB said

  10. #805
    Senior Member calimero2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoebus View Post

    Sukhoi Su-27UB, Su-27P (Su-30MK)

    [SIZE=1]edit: there are 2 Su-27s and 1 Su-27UB belonging to Belarus AF[/SIZE]
    As you say, the aircraft is not Russian but Belorussian. It's however not a Su-27UB but the upgraded Su-27UBM1.

  11. #806
    Senior Member flanker7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    cyprus
    Age
    37
    Posts
    8,280

    Default

    Thank you Kvavka. Well, I believe that for similar problems people often find similar solutions, but the two seem very very alike

  12. #807
    Senior Member Kvakva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,643

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flanker7 View Post
    Thank you Kvavka. Well, I believe that for similar problems people often find similar solutions, but the two seem very very alike
    They are alike, MOH-50 was developed a year after first reports of it in Vietnam and receiving some examples of claymores. They added a vertical concavity so that the blast would not go higher than 4 m and increased the amount of particals in the kill zone.

  13. #808
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rus
    Posts
    105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by psychoticweazel View Post
    What I read about this is that the infantry rides ontop as protection against IED's. Don't know if this is true though.

    Go from above because in cases of undermining on a land mine, the chance to survive is much more than if they went inside, all impact will be accepted with the machine, and they only will fly up upwards and them will scatter. Well and in cases of that they can quickly leave the machine if to go inside, longer to leave the machine on time.

  14. #809
    Senior Member TheArmenian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    East of Byzantium
    Posts
    2,773

    Default



    PECHORA (SA-3)

  15. #810
    Senior Member TheArmenian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    East of Byzantium
    Posts
    2,773

    Default



    Search radar of S-300 missile

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •