Thread: Russian Photos (updated on regular basis)

  1. #37771

    Default

    unknown vehicle with 152 gun



    sorry for low quality

  2. #37772
    Banned user
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Amurikuh
    Posts
    1,018

    Default

    http://twower.livejournal.com/499098.html

    Twower latest report, 36th MotoStrelkovaya Brigada.
    Once again, real reports from typical "new reform" units in Russia. These are not the shiny display units, but real field exercises. Of course it should be remembered he goes where the MOD sends him, but still, good stuff.

    I would like to point out:

    "Общался с солдатами. Реально радует, что все говорили о регулярных занятиях и учебе. Это вторая часть, из всех мною посещенных(первая - 393-я авиабаза), где солдаты сообщали, что проблем с кавказцами у них нет никаких. В части всего 70 солдат с Кавказа и единственное, чем они ярко запомнились, так это участием в самодеятельности(видеоролик смотрите ниже).
    Кормит всех опять же гражданская организация, солдаты говорят, что питание хорошее. Телефоны можно иметь, но в будние дни они у командира роты, в выходные выдают без проблем."


    They need to increase pay though, enticing people to serve will not work on the basis of better conditions/patriotism alone. Money will filter back into economy better than it ending up in Generals pockets anyways...


    Also they still use the Rapira AT gun. Wow, old school, but the recoil on that thing is remarkably weak.

    EDIT: Reason for recoil is they are using practice barell insert, large machine gun round, not a 100mm projectile.
    Last edited by MkayNow?; 03-01-2011 at 01:24 PM.

  3. #37773
    Banned user
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Moscow/Khabarovsk
    Posts
    4,499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MkayNow? View Post
    They need to increase pay though, enticing people to serve will not work on the basis of better conditions/patriotism alone. Money will filter back into economy better than it ending up in Generals pockets anyways...
    If I am not mistaken, in 2012 officer and sargeant salaries are planned to increase significantly. This was also mentioned by twower himself, I believe. Hope it happens, surely the number of people wanting to serve will increase.

  4. #37774

    Default

    link

    "Запланированы работы по созданию корабельного ракетного комплекса "Циркон-С" с гиперзвуковой ракетой", - информировал Поповкин.

    Which is this new hypersonic missile that Popovkin has reveled ?

  5. #37775
    Senior Member Andy_UA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    link

    "Запланированы работы по созданию корабельного ракетного комплекса "Циркон-С" с гиперзвуковой ракетой", - информировал Поповкин.

    Which is this new hypersonic missile that Popovkin has reveled ?
    This is for the Navy and it is only in pen - paper stage. http://npomash.ru/press/ru/podrobnee080211.htm

  6. #37776
    Banned user
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Amurikuh
    Posts
    1,018

    Default



    Awesome, naval MiG-31?

  7. #37777
    WarInc bossman RomanS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scotus View Post
    I would like to take a moment to remember the life and heroism of Lt Col Mark Yevtyukhin.

    On this day in 2000 he was among 84 Russian Airborne soldiers killed on hill 776 in the Battle of Ulus Kert. His actions decimated a large body of al-Qaeda fighters, perhaps up to a thousand killed, under Saudi Jihadist warlord Ibn Al-Khattab. The Islamists were attempting to flee to the Pankisi Gorge in Georgia. Several key Jihadists had previously been based in, or traversed through, the Pankisi Gorge, including Abu Musab al-Zarqawi.

    Lt Col Yevtyukhin was a skillful and experienced commander, having served in Afghanistan, Tajikistan, and the collapse of Yugoslavia.

    Today my thoughts reflect upon his life and heroism, his family, and those his soldiers.

    Very good CALL !

    RIP Mark and the 6th COMPANY !

    We will never forget you brave guys.

  8. #37778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fasatron View Post
    unknown vehicle with 152 gun



    sorry for low quality
    Looks like T-95

  9. #37779
    Senior Member artjomh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    5,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MkayNow? View Post


    Awesome, naval MiG-31?
    Nope. Air Force. 530th Fighter Aviation Regiment, Sokolovka airbase (Chuguyevka), disbanded in 2009. The regiment was made (in)famous in 1976 by one Viktor Belenko, may he rot in hell.



    The only naval MiG-31s were based in Yelizovo, when it was 856th regiment (currently reassigned to the Air Force as the 6990th Airbase)

  10. #37780
    Banned user
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Amurikuh
    Posts
    1,018

    Default

    Hope those Kastka MiG-31s are still alive elsewhere. In fact, that should be the MiG-31s name, the Kastka/Killer Whale.

    Why the choice of animal in that particular regiment though?

  11. #37781
    Senior Member artjomh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    5,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MkayNow? View Post
    Hope those Kastka MiG-31s are still alive elsewhere. In fact, that should be the MiG-31s name, the Kastka/Killer Whale.

    Why the choice of animal in that particular regiment though?
    Because it is based in Primorsky krai, near the Pacific ocean? I don't know.

    PS: Kasatka is the official treaty designation for Project 955 ("Borei") submarines.

  12. #37782
    Senior Member boza128's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Knjazevac, Serbia
    Posts
    1,129

    Default

    @D-Mitch:

    Always great pictures!

  13. #37783
    Banned user
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Moscow/Khabarovsk
    Posts
    4,499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by artjomh View Post
    PS: Kasatka is the official treaty designation for Project 955 ("Borei") submarines.
    hmm. I thought Kasatka was reserved for Ka-60 Kasatka

    btw to all english speakers Kasatka = Orca

  14. #37784
    Senior Member artjomh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    5,008

    Default

    Ka-60 has not been accepted into service. There is nothing "reserved" about it. The nickname is just a bit of meaningless Kamov marketing, sort of like White Swan for Tu-160 or Night Hunter for Mi-28N.

    Kasatka for Borei is official. It is listed in START data exchanges between Russia and US. Although, "official" is a relative term in Russia. There are many official designations which are fake. I will explain why.

    In the 60's and 70's before the era of arms control agreements, Russia was very secretive about designations for its weapons. Even names of weapons were top secret and there were several layers of secrecy, one layer known to the designers, one layer to the manufacturing industry, etc. All layers had their own designations and all of them were secret.

    When US and Russia were negotiating the SALT agreement, US insisted that the Russians provide some sort of designation for their strategic systems, e.g. missiles, submarines, bombers, etc.

    But Soviet Union didn't want to divulge their secret designations (because it would tell American intelligence too much about their military-industrial complex), so they invented a completely new system of designations, specifically for international treaties. The system was fake, bogus, completely unrelated to the others.

    Because USSR didnt want to divulge the actual Project numbers of their ballistic missile submarines, they invented fake classes like Murena, Kalmar, Delfin (projects 667BD, 667BDR, 667BDRM) for their submarines. Kasatka is another such fake name. Although Russia no longer needs to hide true designations (in most cases, some are still truly secret even today), they still do it for the sake of tradition.

    The whole thing was even more complicated when it came to stuff like missiles. The missile known in the West as SS-N-23 was known officially in Russia as R-29RM (designer's name), as 4K75RM (GRAU index for industrial production), and as RSM-54 (international treaty name). All three of the designations were top secret, although different levels of secrecy.

  15. #37785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by artjomh View Post
    Ka-60 has not been accepted into service. There is nothing "reserved" about it. The nickname is just a bit of meaningless Kamov marketing, sort of like White Swan for Tu-160 or Night Hunter for Mi-28N.

    Kasatka for Borei is official. It is listed in START data exchanges between Russia and US. Although, "official" is a relative term in Russia. There are many official designations which are fake. I will explain why.

    In the 60's and 70's before the era of arms control agreements, Russia was very secretive about designations for its weapons. Even names of weapons were top secret and there were several layers of secrecy, one layer known to the designers, one layer to the manufacturing industry, etc. All layers had their own designations and all of them were secret.

    When US and Russia were negotiating the SALT agreement, US insisted that the Russians provide some sort of designation for their strategic systems, e.g. missiles, submarines, bombers, etc.

    But Soviet Union didn't want to divulge their secret designations (because it would tell American intelligence too much about their military-industrial complex), so they invented a completely new system of designations, specifically for international treaties. The system was fake, bogus, completely unrelated to the others.

    Because USSR didnt want to divulge the actual Project numbers of their ballistic missile submarines, they invented fake classes like Murena, Kalmar, Delfin (projects 667BD, 667BDR, 667BDRM) for their submarines. Kasatka is another such fake name. Although Russia no longer needs to hide true designations (in most cases, some are still truly secret even today), they still do it for the sake of tradition.

    The whole thing was even more complicated when it came to stuff like missiles. The missile known in the West as SS-N-23 was known officially in Russia as R-29RM (designer's name), as 4K75RM (GRAU index for industrial production), and as RSM-54 (international treaty name). All three of the designations were top secret, although different levels of secrecy.
    Seems extremely pointless, given Borey/Borei has been known for almost 2 decades. Missiles is especially infuriating - why the hell is RS-24 "Yars" called that, and why is its designation nothing like the format of Topol-M? And why is Topol-M's designation nothing like UR-100N? Etc?

    Topol-M has been called RS-12M1 or RS-12M2 or RT-2PM2 and RT-2UTTKh ... so stupidly, pointlessly confusing.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •