Thread: Russian Photos (updated on regular basis)

Quote Originally Posted by Universal_Soldier View Post
    This looks like the export version since it's got three display screen plus the HUD. I believe the domestic version comes with two LCD displaces plus the HUD. I maybe wrong tho.

This is a beautiful bird for all intents and purposes.

Front cockpit has 2 MFDs and the rear pit has 3. No "export" version of Yak-130 exists.
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

peace to this young warrior without the sound of guns

Quote Originally Posted by Zmey View Post

Front cockpit has 2 MFDs and the rear pit has 3. No "export" version of Yak-130 exists.
    The picture there is surely not a rear pit. it the frontal pit with three LCDs.

you may still be right tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Universal_Soldier View Post
    The picture there is surely not a rear pit. it the frontal pit with three LCDs.

you may still be right tho.
    Prototypes can differ from each other. We wont know final configuration for some time. With 1st serial 130 flying, and hopefully more under contruction, we'll wait and see.

Banned user

With the Vikhr-M and Hermes supposedly "dropped" - and the Ataka-M seeminly inferior to a top-line ATGM, I wonder how hard it is to fit the AT-15 Khrizantema to the choppers? Dual-mode guidance with FOF mode is great, decent range which could be improved, and insane armor penetration.

Quote Originally Posted by Vipidari View Post
    With the Vikhr-M and Hermes supposedly "dropped" - and the Ataka-M seeminly inferior to a top-line ATGM, I wonder how hard it is to fit the AT-15 Khrizantema to the choppers? Dual-mode guidance with FOF mode is great, decent range which could be improved, and insane armor penetration.
    Don't bury Hermes yet, there is a fair chance of it becoming something tangible. Ataka V is just improved Shturm, but with same archaic guidance method, inferior range and penetration value to that of Vikhr. ~800mm HRS, as opposed to 1000+ of Vikhr, is already well below of protection levels of frontal projection of nearly all modern MBTs (ok, they don't need to be hit head on but still high assured kill margin needs to be maintained). Khrizantema is land based system with some specific requirments and most importantly it's not fire-and-forget weapon.

Is it Vikhr that can target both armor and "air" target?

Quote Originally Posted by Xav View Post
    Well, actually it's the Shkval optic-electronic device that targets object; beam rider are literally without brains. As long as there is radio or laser flightpath envelop and it's launched into it and target, or mother craft, do not exceed targeting device's angular velocity limits, it will follow its way blindly into whatever you shoot it.

Given that we're now seeing the same missiles on Yellow 061, 062 and now the brand-new 063, posted two pages back, this is no isolated occurrence; it looks to me like they've decided on Ataka-V for all helicopters, which would make sense as they definitely needed to rationalise their ATGM inventory.

Front cockpit has 2 MFDs
    Actually 3, if you examine photo closely and compare it to previous ones, you'll see that leftmost screen is simply obstructed by the canopy frame.

Federov Avtomat, FTW!

Yes, but Ka-52 has been flying with gear down all the time lately (hydrolics removed and gear locked for weight relief?)
    I doubt. Often aircraft that are not going to be flying near full speed operate with gear down. Means that during forced landing there is undercarriage to help reduce shock impact of the fall.

and cancellation of Vickhr production means they use inferior Atacka for a long time, if not permanently(now clearly seen radome cover on left flare dispenser block must be cover for Raduga guidance block).
    Vikhr production for a fleet of just 30 odd aircraft simply does not make sense.
    ATAKA is in stock and is much cheaper and without their full mission radar neither the Mi-28N nor the Ka-50 nor the Ka-52s are likely to reliably detect and target things at much longer range than 6km anyway. The long term solution is Hermes which doesn't make much sense till they have fully operational MMW radars. If it is used in all Russian attack helos later on then it makes sense what they appear to be doing. ATAKA for now when the platforms are not completely ready to fully utilise anything better anyway, then Hermes when they are fully up to spec so that the 20km standoff range should make it much safer to use them. Add to that the Ugroza guidance package for unguided rockets and they will become very potent beasts.

Interesting; a "six pack" of ATGM? And what is the sensor forward of the wind screen by the pitot tube?
    Consistent with what it was replacing. On the original Ka-50 the outer wing pylon carried 6 Vikhr ATGMs. It was only on the Su-25TM that it carried 8 on a pylon.

Ka-52 is a beauty and it actually went into production unlike its cousin Ka-50
    About a dozen Ka-50s were produced in the 1990s and entered service. Had heard rumours that in addition to the 12 Ka-52s produced for the special forces that some Ka-50s were completed from incomplete airframes left over from production to make a viable force of Ka-50s.

Yes. It has a proximity fuse for aerial targets which blows the warhead up from a different point and maximises fragmentation and does not form a HEAT armour piercing jet of plasma.

I suspect the Hermes has been frozen because the current in service helos don't have the full sensor suite (in particular the radar elements) to use their range. The Vikhr doesn't make sense as Hermes would be a good replacement for it and there are few aircraft that can use Vikhr in or near service... a dozen Ka-50s and curently a couple of, but eventually a dozen Ka-52s. The Su-25TM isn't in service and the Su-25SM can't use them AFAIK.
    The ATAKA is cheap and it is in stock probably in numbers as it has been the primary Russian ATGM fired from attack helos since the late 1980s.
    The Mi-28N is not likely to be spotting and IDing targets at ranges much greater than 6km anyway... especially without its MMW radar.
    Once the radars become operational then a transition to the more expensive but also much longer range Hermes makes sense to me.
    I have no evidence to prove that the Russian generals think this... I am just thinking about what I would do in their position.

Banned user

One question to ATGM.
    If a chopper is attacking a ground target like a tank.
    Does the rocket hits the tank on the top of it ?
    Where the armor is the weakest, or from the side ?

And can ATAKA handle it with a M1A2 ?

All the pictures you post here friends have the same cockpit.Three displays front and three displays at the back cockpit.And I would like to remember you this aircraft will use training pilots for the PAK-FA.And in my opinion also for Ruaf version all it's displays must be digital.

Unicus Ac Immortalis II Dark Avenger's Avatar

The "above the cockpit" placement of the ball was the trial version. Right now all three Ka-52s in existence have the optics ball under the nose.
    Thanks. But I still see differences in the installation. Note the configuration on 061 differs from that on 062.

Federov Avtomat, FTW!

One question to ATGM.
    If a chopper is attacking a ground target like a tank.
    Does the rocket hits the tank on the top of it ?
    Where the armor is the weakest, or from the side ?

And can ATAKA handle it with a M1A2 ?
    It flys directly towards the target from the helo. The helo will not be high up so the trajectory will be practically horizontal.

A clean strike should result in a penetration of 800mm behind ERA, so the Abrams will be vulnerable from the side and the rear but unless it hits a weak point it will not be too vulnerable from the front.

Of course if you are hunting tanks then a few Su-25s with cluster bombs with the SBPE sensor fused submunition would be the solution. It is fitted with an IIR seeker and a MMW radar to detect metal objects that generate heat (ie tanks) and attack them from the top with explosively formed penetrators called SFF or self forging fragments.
    For the really tough super tank of course there is always the TV or laser guided Kh-29 with a 317kg shaped charge HE warhead that is designed to undermine the concrete foundations of a large solid concrete bridge and would wreck any armoured vehicle now or in the future. All up weight of 600kgs and a 10km range it should be effective should the Kh-25 with its 90kg warhead prove insufficient.

Front has 3 as well, the two you see on that picture are the right and the center one, the left one is overlapped by the airframe.