Thread: Russian Photos (updated on regular basis)

December 25, 2012. Channel "1 TV". Russia, Voronezh. Five new bomber SU-34 arrived to 7000 AFB (Baltimor).

Last edited by Raden5; 12-25-2012 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raden5 View Post
    December 25, 2012. Channel "1 TV". Russia, Voronezh. Five new bomber SU-34 arrived to 7000 AFB (Baltimor).

Nice high visibility paint scheme. Dark grey, light blue, nice red numbers with white edges, big white dielectric panels and of course the huge red star. I do not understand why they don't use the single color or the lighter grey paint like on the Yak-130 or the liptesk MiG-29 9.13. Or the malaysian Su-30MKM paint scheme from Irkut also would be better.

Can someone tell me what kind of S-125 Neva upgrade is this? This is Serbian by the way...

Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

Banned user

Pechora-2m

Quote Originally Posted by Allesmor Obranna View Post
    Nice high visibility paint scheme. Dark grey, light blue, nice red numbers with white edges, big white dielectric panels and of course the huge red star. I do not understand why they don't use the single color or the lighter grey paint like on the Yak-130 or the liptesk MiG-29 9.13. Or the malaysian Su-30MKM paint scheme from Irkut also would be better.
    *yawn*
    The paint scheme has to do with when the aircraft is flying, blue on the bottom to 'fool the eye' so it looks like the rest of the sky (which is often, you guessed it BLUE).
    Grey on top, to fool other aerial adversaries so it will blend with the ground, since the ground generally is darker in color than... well the sky.
    As for the 'huge red star' that is the symbol/roundel/ensign of the Russian Military. In fact I can tell you we put equally 'un-tactical' paint-jobs on some of our front-line combat aircraft here in the US military as well. Also the 'big white dielectric panels' are that color for a reason, especially regarding the radar. At least from what little I [am allowed to] know about radar systems, certain paints coincide with allowing the best efficiency in their use. Not to mention other things like pitot-tubes, antennas, etc.

Banned user

Konst, WOW! Ne xrena sebe! Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by KillerBD View Post
    *yawn*
    The paint scheme has to do with when the aircraft is flying, blue on the bottom to 'fool the eye' so it looks like the rest of the sky (which is often, you guessed it BLUE).
    Grey on top, to fool other aerial adversaries so it will blend with the ground, since the ground generally is darker in color than... well the sky.
    As for the 'huge red star' that is the symbol/roundel/ensign of the Russian Military. In fact I can tell you we put equally 'un-tactical' paint-jobs on some of our front-line combat aircraft here in the US military as well. Also the 'big white dielectric panels' are that color for a reason, especially regarding the radar. At least from what little I [am allowed to] know about radar systems, certain paints coincide with allowing the best efficiency in their use. Not to mention other things like pitot-tubes, antennas, etc.
    Don't forget two things. First of all, you have a very good paint scheme for your MiG-31s, you have to repeat that on your other planes.
    The second. Here in Hungray we had only one good decision related to our MiG-29s during their service life.
    This was when we changed the old russian standard paint scheme to the Gripen-like one. I really loved the original paint scheme, the grey did as the grey always do, low visibility color. But the blue/green/grey was the biggest achievement from the russian engineers after the great teflon grey color from the cold war era. What we had to change after 1988 by a stupid decision from Moscow in the Warsaw Pact era. Every WP country had to change the teflon grey (which paint had a minor stealth capability too) to a stupid green/brown colors.

So the original russian MiG-29 paint scheme was very good, close to the teflon grey, but when we change the paint to the Gripen-style...it was a very big surprise. It worked well, the visibility decreased enourmosly, except the big dark smoke from the engines, but it is a different story.

The NATO knows the secret, the other countries know the secret, the Russian Airforce also know the secret, which paint scheme is the good for a tactical plane. But as I see, some stupid politicians in Russia ordered this idiot paint scheme which is more than awful, it is brutal.

The idea about the "sky is blue, let the plane's bottom is blue, the earth could be darker, let the top surface something between the dark grey and brown and blue, with a very sharp border between them" is far from what is really works.
    I really don't know what kind of radar rays what the modern russian planes use which harmed by a painted radom.
    Just check theses two pictures:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Hunga...658044ddbd985e

and

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Hunga...658044ddbd985e

The dielectric panels and especially the radar dome is painted. There was no any effect on it.
    I think it is came from a politician's brain. I don't think what is really working in the USAF or in the whole NATO, is not working on the RF. The visibility is same. The physics are same.
    I don't know why the RF don't paint the radar dome down.

Or did it:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Russi...03e1ede42e5360

But use a abnormally huge Red Star to compensate the low visibility? This plane plays the Agressor role? Shoot me, I am here?
    It's crazy.

Finally the Su-35S. There were four very well painted planes, the black 01 and the red 02/03/04.
    But on the plane red 06, the paint schem is same as on the new Su-34s and they forgot to add the color to the horizontal stabilizer covered surface on the tail.
    So the problem is not with just the color itself, now the problem is the painter's quality.
    Last edited by Allesmor Obranna; 12-25-2012 at 07:05 PM.

A Greek in the Netherlands who struggles with the bad weather every day..

I am not used to post photos of guns but this time I will make an exception..

AK-12

Banned user

Banned user

The Ak12 is ugly as hell!

A Greek in the Netherlands who struggles with the bad weather every day..

Quote Originally Posted by Arbody View Post
    Oscar class for a special purpose? Which submarine? Belgorod, Volgograd or a current one that goes for modernization?

Quote Originally Posted by Krank View Post
    The Ak12 is ugly as hell!
    Be careful with your words son.

WTF am I doing with my life? Token White Guy's Avatar

I wonder if the 223 model can use STANAG mags?

Quote Originally Posted by Token White Guy View Post
    I'm guessing not... I have an AK-101... basically an AK in .223 and it uses something like a modified AK74 mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Token White Guy View Post
    Uh... No... It would be contrary to the reliability of the AK platform. The whole STANAG magazine well idea is the weakest point of the AR platform, so it would heavily detract from the AK platform itself. Only just recently, thanks to C-products and PMAGs, does the STANAG platformed AR approach the AK in reliability. Just stick to Galil for that 5.56mm job. Or a straight AR.